Chris is a skilled leader with 31 years of Oil and Gas experience split evenly
between BP’s Upstream and Downstream businesses. A chartered chemical engineer
with extensive practical skills and pragmatism, he has significant people
management experience as OIM on major onshore and international offshore
facilities, running large teams and balancing people performance, HSE and risk,
technical knowledge and commercial delivery. He has delivered turnarounds,
start-ups and projects, organisational change, reliability and HSE performance
improvements, staff development and assurance of competence, across a variety of
chemical, oil and gas facilities.
- Site Management, Operations Leadership and NOJV’s
- Turnarounds, Project Commissioning and Start-up
- HSE, Process Safety and Risk Assurance
- Offshore oil and gas, and Onshore petrochemical operations
- Nationalisation plans
- Reliability, maintenance and integrity improvements and benchmarking
- Operations competency assessments
B.Eng in Chemical and Process Engineering, Chartered Engineer, CEng, and Fellow
of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, FIChemE, Management of Major
Emergencies OIM assessment 2005, 2008, 2010
BP plc from 1989 to 2020
2012 – 2020 Operations Manager, Angola NOJV Business London & Luanda, Angola
- Representing BP’s partner interests with other IOC’s on two large
multi-facility offshore blocks in deep-water Angola and a world scale LNG
facility. Responsible for risk assurance, performance reporting, partner
agreement, investment support and shared learnings.
2010 – 2012 Offshore Installation Manager, Greater Plutonio FPSO Luanda, Angola
2004 – 2010 Offshore Installation Manager, Central Azeri Platform Baku,
- As OIM, led the Offshore Teams to deliver business targets for HSE,
production, costs, maintain reliability and integrity of plant equipment and
wells and minimise ongoing risk to ensure safe, reliable operations.
Responsible for the safe execution of all work-site activity. Work Permit
signatory as Site Controller for all FPSO and associated facilities. Acted
as on-scene commander in the event of an incident.
2002 – 2004 Operations Manager, Grangemouth Northside Area Grangemouth, Scotland
- Member of Petrochemicals Area Leadership Team at BP Grangemouth, responsible
for operations of the Petrochemicals Northside Delivery Area delivering HSE,
production, integrity, reliability and cost targets across 4 integrated
petrochemicals plants (combined capacity 550,000 tpa). Agreed and delivered
the Annual Operating plan and Fixed and Variable Cost budgets and Capital
spend, in conjunction with the business leadership. Ensured HSE performance
fully met corporate and site standards in line with the ISO 14001
accreditation. Acted as Duty Incident Manager on Grangemouth Complex on-call
2000 – 2002 BP Grangemouth Gas Feedstock Strategy Analyst
1999 – 2000 BP Grangemouth G4 Ethylene Cracker Lead Manufacturing Engineer
1997 – 1999 BP Grangemouth G4 Ethylene Cracker Expansion Project Engineer
1989 – 1997 Various technical and operations support engineering roles
EXAMPLE RECENT OF DELIVERY AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Created an increased Angolan NOJV Operator focus to improve cash costs.
Delivered a reduction in offshore block Operating Expenditures from c.$1.3bn
per annum to c.$0.8bn per annum over 3 years, via strong influencing at
partner meetings, and bi-lateral collaboration with other non-operating
- Facilitated internal approval of Major Angola NOJV Project developments
valued at $13bn gross over 6 years in offshore blocks, securing approval by
BP Executive Management of BP share, and ensuring BP technical support for
these new developments to provide ongoing assurance on the investment.
- Completed offshore operations benchmarking across all operated and NOJV BP
assets in Angola and used data to identify internal improvement actions
- Supported and directed delivery of the offshore Angola and Azerbaijani
nationalisation programmes offshore and provided leadership to grow
individual and team performance through development, training, coaching and
mentoring to deliver significant increase in national staff in responsible
- Developed and piloted a novel competency assessment framework for Operations
Leaders that was eventually applied across the whole BP Operations global
- Successfully led the reboarding and restart of the Central Azer platform
after the September 2008 incident when the platform was fully abandoned for
10 weeks as a result of a well annulus gas leak. Planned and led the phased
return to operations culminating in restart in December 2008.
- Improved HSE and Reliability performance in the BP Grangemouth
Petrochemicals Northside and Olefins areas to better-than-site targets
through changes in local culture, practices and behaviours
- Led BP Grangemouth Northside Operations team to deliver a successful Ethanol
3 turnaround, completing overhaul scope 10% under budget (savings $3m) and 3
days ahead of schedule.
- Developed and changed the local Grangemouth BP Northside working
environment, relationships and behaviours to achieve improved Employee
Satisfaction Index over 24 months. Managed local Industrial Relations in
line with company policy and within the Union/Management framework.
- Acted as Olefins Area Change Manager ﴾1995-1996﴿ leading transition to Self
Directed Teams in G4 cracker operations area
- Completed role (1997 -1999) as G4 Ethylene Expansion Project Works Rep (
$80m capex expansion) delivering a successful enhancement to install 2 new
vertical coil cracking furnaces plus associated modifications to the plant
C3 and C4 hydrogenation systems.