- Dean has 30 years’ experience as a senior leader in the oil, gas, chemicals,
- He has significant experience in leading programmes with major oil companies
and advising a
range of clients globally.
- Dean’s specialty is process plant efficiency improvement,
turnarounds/shutdowns, and the
creation of the organisational capability to deliver these.
- He has led the delivery of group wide strategy achieving benchmarked levels
of top quartile
performance, whist improving risk management and safety approaches.
- Turnarounds and brownfield projects
- Contracts and Commercial management
- Strategic activity planning (functional capability development)
- Asset operations efficiency performance improvement
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Mechanical Discipline Engineering Refining/Upstream
- Qualifications : MBA; ECITB Fellows in Construction Site Management; Post
Grad Diploma in
Strategic Marketing.; BEng Honors Mechanical Engineering
BP Upstream Global Operations, 2012 - 2020
- Director of Strategic Activity Planning/Integration (Reservoir, Wells,
- Director of Turnarounds and Outages
- Regional Turnaround Manager: Angola Operations (2 FPSO’s Deep water)
Shell Global Solutions: Projects & Technology, 2010 - 2012
- Principal Consultant Engineering and Operational Excellence: Upstream,
Downstream & LNG for
Shell and third parties; Globally supporting clients in Turnaround assurance
optimisation, Projects, Maintenance and Inspection.
Shell International Trading and Shipping Company, 2008 - 2010
- Shipping Operations and Technology: Project Manager and LNG R&D Programme
Shell UK: Stanlow Manufacturing Complex ﴾Refinery and Chemicals Manufacturing),
1997 - 2008
- Site Turnarounds and Minor Projects Manger plus Major Turnaround Event
AMEC Process and Energy, 1990 - 1997
- Project Manager, Turnarounds Brownfield Projects; UK chemicals and refinery
Example recent of delivery and achievements
- IOC Upstream global Turnaround performance transformation:
Improved the business performance related to the global 10 year Turnaround
program. The implementation of the Performance Transformation delivered
business improvement :
- From: 15% of Turnarounds benchmarking at 1st Quartile performance and
over 50% 4thQ. To: 80% of TAR's benchmarked as 1st Q and 2% 4thQ; with
production impact improved by ~ 50% resulting in ~ 12mboed annual net
reduction in planned production deferral losses;. TAR durations reduced
from average 31days to 21 days and run lengths increased from 3.5 years
up to 6 years. In year delivery TAR production reduction impact improved
- IOC Global Asset Utilization Improvement : Optimized
non-turnaround planned losses by 25% saving ~20mboed net production in year.
Implemented process for assessing strategic value of activity, improving
decision making, driving efficiency in planning and execution.
- Upstream Turnaround Delivery : Regional asset utilization
improvement from 90 to 98%. FPSO Turnaround delivery optimizing strategy and
execution achieving benchmarked leader level competitiveness in Angola.
- Downstream Refining and chemicals manufacture : Delivered
site Turnaround strategy and managed tactical delivery of execution to 1st
quartile “better-than-pacesetter” benchmarked performance. Managed all
maintenance projects and major refinery events as Event Manager. Supported
top quartile delivery in all refinery KPI’s. Embed improvements to processes
and built team experience and capability for sustainable performance.
- IOC Upstream Global Strategic Planning Optimization :
Transforming strategic decision making and improvements to the global
5-year+ global activity set; optimizing activity to improve forecasting
accuracy and deliver optimal safe operations efficiency, cost, emissions and
growth. Assessing global activity for strategic value and driving
improvements. Converted insights from vulnerabilities and production
variances into improvement actions; included feedback into Project new build
design to improve new asset performance.