An enthusiastic Chartered Mechanical Engineer with proven abilities in preparation and execution
of major maintenance events in the petrochemical sector, both at management level and in the
field. I enjoy seeing a project from inception to completion and have developed the
inter-personal abilities and energy to see projects through to a successful conclusion. I have
experience of managing both contractors and direct reports through team mobilisation, scope
definition, event preparation, execution, and closeout.
- 2013 – to date: UK Downstream: Turnaround Engineer / Turnaround Consultant
- September 2010 to June 2013: RWE Npower - Pembroke Power Station: Lead Maintenance Engineer
- March 2008 to June 2010:MURCO Petroleum, Milford Haven Refinery (formerly TOTAL
DELIVERY AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Turnaround scope optimisation and execution support for major distillation column repair –
Valero Pembroke Refinery · Turnaround scope optimisation for Essar Stanlow HF Alkylation
- Technical procurement support, materials specification development, tender analysis and
vendor management for TA Long-Lead Engineered Items – Valero Pembroke Refinery.
- Turnaround Project Engineer for FCC TA projects for Valero Pembroke Refinery.
- Client Project Engineer for two TA-focussed Vacuum Unit upgrade projects for Valero Pembroke
- Project Manager for two TA-focussed Vacuum Unit upgrade projects for Valero Pembroke
refinery, via InSite Technical Services.
- TA Lead for 2018 HF Alkylation turnaround at Essar Stanlow Refinery.
- TA support consultant – Orpic Sohar Refinery (Oman), via KBC Advanced Technology (long term
assignment under ongoing associate relationship).
- TA Lead for 2015 HFA pit-stop & Area Engineer for 2015 Alcohols unit TA at Essar Stanlow
Refinery (concurrent projects).
- Mechanical Engineer – Magnox Trawsfynnydd. Reactor Pressure Vessel inspection project.
- Nightshift site manager for Doosan Power Systems at PetroIneos Grangemouth Ethylene Cracker
- Nightshift site manager for Doosan Power Systems at PetroIneos Grangemouth Hydrocracker
- Associate consultant for KBC Advanced Technology – Turnaround Assistance Programme. · Area
Lead Engineer for HF Alkylation unit turnaround at Essar Stanlow Refinery.
- Scope Optimisation and support of refinery in aligning scope of major distillation column
repair - reduction in schedule from initial 168 days to containable 53 days via combination
of engineering scope optimisation, refinery hydrocarbon planning optimisation and
construction planning followed by execution support of this same scope.
- Materials specification development / Tender review / Vendor Management/ for all non-project
long-lead engineered items (£4.8MM value) successfully delivered in support of major
- Scope development / Materials specification development / Tender review / Vendor Management/
construction planning of FCC Flue-Gas damper replacement. £2.5MM project to replace
refinery’s FCC Flue-gas damper successfully realising a significant improvement in refinery
reliability & economics.
- Lead Valero Vacuum unit TA projects, following successful management of previous phases for
- Led Vacuum unit projects successfully through “definition” and “development” phases to
schedule and budget.
- 2018 Essar HFA Turnaround (19k (mechanical) manhour / £9mn) completed successfully within
P80 duration, with 1% budget overspend and goal-zero safety performance – the first time
this had been achieved in a major event on this unit.
- Provided significant advice to ORPIC project team during latter stages of capital project
development and during execution of this 2.1M manhour turnaround.
- 2015 Essar HFA outage completed successfully to plan and budget with ‘Goal-zero’ safety
- 2015 Essar Alcohols turnaround completed with 2 day engineering over-run, to budget and with
‘Goal-zero’ safety performance.
- Assistance to Magnox client lead engineer and inspection of reactor pressure vessel
- Successfully led all Doosan nightshift activities on two events at Grangemouth complex
(requested by name for 2nd event)
- Ongoing support of KBC’s programme to bring best-practice expertise to Industrial clients.
- Took over 2013 Essar HFA event from incumbent engineer with 2 week handover. Lead the 19k
(mechanical) manhour event to a successful execution.
September 2010 to June 2013: RWE Npower - Pembroke Power Station : Lead Maintenance Engineer
- Line Management of team of 6 maintenance technicians (Assistant Engineers).
- Specification and procurement of all maintenance equipment.
- Joint development of maintenance strategies, workflows & procedures.
- Recruitment of maintenance crafts team (12 plus supervisor) and subsequent line-management
- Management of daily maintenance activities.
- Management of maintenance capital investments including significant building modifications.
- Subsequent re-organisation to head implementation of the station’s capital investment
programme from mid 2012 onward.
- Managed the formation of a completely new team though the critical early stages of team
development including significant input into staff development both by way of facilitating
Personal Development plans and by direct coaching.
- Co-ordinated the specification of all maintenance equipment and facilities to develop
functioning maintenance workshops from a ‘bare shell’ building.
- With 3 colleagues, co-ordinated, led and managed the development of all procedures,
workflows and equipment necessary to establish the station’s maintenance practices.
- Developed an existing assessment centre format into one that is now used as a model by other
- Co-ordinated and managed £250k modification programme to adapt all station buildings to
better support station organisation.
March 2008 to June 2010 : MURCO Petroleum, Milford Haven Refinery (formerly TOTAL UK) :
- Responsible for planning and execution of whole-plant maintenance turnaround to senior
- Project manager for development of £15M of capital maintenance within turnaround scope.
- Management of in-house planning team comprising 12 staff & contractors.
- Management of 8 area contracting organisations, plus ~40 sub-contractors.
- Lead planning and execution of £50M plant overhaul as part of a £100M refinery turnaround –
the largest ever attempted by the site Supervisor, maintenance planning – Maintenance &
- Responsible for team of 9 planners and support staff, planning all routine maintenance
within the refinery – a total of approximately £5M worth of work per annum.
- Re-structured maintenance planning department and workflows associated with maintenance
planning, leading to implementation of a site-wide workflow improvement project.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 1988-1992 University of Plymouth B Eng (Hons) Composite Materials Engineering
- B.Eng (Hons). CEng. MIMechE.